Apr 22, 2007

Day Three: Animal Kingdom (Carrie)

Like the other mornings here, the only time for resting is while standing by a park's turnstiles, waiting to get in. We beat our other arrival times by stepping off the bus at Animal Kingdom at around 7:55.



For a little bit, things weren't looking so hot. The park staff were trying to be tricky by just having 2 sets of turnstiles open at the beginning. Around 8:30, they started opening others. So, this was the first day for us to NOT be first in line. To top it off, we were behind 2 very annoying families who were traveling together. And, AND, they were also following the Unofficial Guide's itinerary! Argh!!

We got away from them during the rush to the rope near the Tree of Life. However, I ran into the dads at the Expedition Everest fastpass distribution center, and then we couldn't shake them in Dinoland (where we rode the Primeval Whirl and Dinosaur, both of which I enjoyed).

We finally lost them somewhere in Asia, where we rode the Kali River Rapids before Everest. While walking to the rapids, Porkchop mentioned how she forgot to suggest taking our ponchos today. But, since she didn't really get wet the first time she rode a couple of years ago, she wasn't worried. Ha!! I'll let her tell her own story, but I will say I was quite soggy after the ride. Murrr!

Expedition Everest was great fun, and we ended up riding it twice.



We also did the following:

  • Saw the Flights of Wonder show. Great birds!


  • Watched It's Tough to be a Bug! Disney loves sensory-filled, 3-D things.

  • Rode the Kilimanjaro Safari and walked the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail. On the safari ride, we saw a baby giraffe, a baby rhino, and a baby elephant.


  • Watched Festival of the Lion King. Since I don't like the movie, I was surprised to enjoy the show. Give me music and acrobats, and I'm set!

  • Watched Finding Nemo: The Musical. I liked the premise and design of the show (actors with giant puppets), but the filling of the theater made me tired, and I found myself bored during the show.

  • Traded pins. I traded with 2 cast members, picking up a Magical Express Bus pin and an Animal Kingdom pin.

Overall, I liked Animal Kingdom the best because there's so much vegetation and shade is plentiful. Also, since there's not as much to do, the pace is more relaxed.

The park closed at 6:00, and we made it to the Animal Kingdom Lodge before 6:15. The AKL is nice!

Boma was pretty good, but I wasn't super-impressed by its attempt at any sort of authenticity. I liked the ginger carrot soup the best, and I don't know if that's really "African" (especially since it was loaded with cream and more of a sweet bisque). The papaya, grapefruit, and avocado salad was tasty, as was the hearts of palm and lentil salad.

After Boma, we headed to (surprise!) Epcot for Illuminations. We contemplated going to Magic Kingdom, but the 10:00 fireworks show seemed SO LATE. We were happy with our choice of Epcot. In addition to Illuminations, we picked up a quick Test Track ride by taking the single rider line.



Tomorrow is MGM, and Porkchop can't wait to ride the Tower of terror!

No comments: