Apr 20, 2007

Day One: Epcot (Porkchop)

Note to self:

Never go to Disney Quest again. Especially the very first night that you arrive at Disney World. The “rides” will make you so sick that you break out into a drenching sweat and throw up in your mouth. You will be dizzy and sensitive to light and noise, both of which are in abundance at DQ.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

I woke up this morning to a slight disappointment. The phone rang at 6:45am and I grabbed it, anxious to hear my pal Mickey wake me up. Instead of Mickey, I was greeted by the sound of silence. Murrrrr…

This morning we looked fresh and ready to go, all bright-eyed and clean out of the shower with our matching trip shirts on. Inside, I felt more hung over than I have in a long time. Much like German beer and French wine, Amanda and Disney Quest just do not mix well together. I was definitely still feeling the effects this morning.

We were early to the bus stop and within 15 minutes we’d arrived at Epcot. While first in line at the turnstile we made conversation with a CM named Robert and my DQ hangover was temporarily eased with the delight of watching Carrie voluntarily whip out her pins and start trading with the CM. Here's a picture of me bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at the turnstile.



After getting fast passes for Soarin’, our first ride was on Test Track and it was a lot faster than I remembered. Our next stop was Mission: Space and I was hesitant about whether or not I should go on it after last night’s virtual reality fiasco. Thankfully, they’ve developed a less intense version of the ride so I was able to go on it without too much trouble. I did close my eyes in a few parts, just because the motion was starting to get to me.

Little did I know that I would spend a good portion of the rest of the afternoon closing my eyes and putting my head between my legs. Since when did Epcot become an acronym for Every-Place-Causes-Offensive-ThrowUp!?!?!?! Maybe I was just a little extra sensitive today because of last night, but it seemed like so many of the rides involved some sort of gigantic screen with loud noises and lights and larger than life images.

In no specific order, here are the rides that I went on and had trouble with: Nemo, Ellen’s Energy Adventure, Mission: Space, and Soarin’. Spaceship Earth, Maelstrom, and Journey into the Imagination were also a little troublesome but more because of jolty motions than anything else.

The only ride that I was able sit back and fully enjoy was “Living with the Land.” Yay for hydroponic plants and for fish farms.



Also enjoyable today were the flowers all around Epcot. Very very pretty. Here are a few more pictures for you.






We ate lunch at the Sunshine Seasons Food Fair and had snacks in the World Showcase. I attempted to use some dining plan snack credits at the Boulangerie Pattiserie in France but after I already had my croissant in hand and was at the cash register, the French girl told me that only their drinks counted as snacks. Pptpththhh! That’s what I think about that.

We loosely followed the Unofficial Guide’s one day itinerary today but kind of lost track of it a couple of hours into the visit. I was surprised though by how quickly we knocked out the main attractions. By 7:00, we were both exhausted and ready to get out of there.

It’s 9:00 now and Carrie is fast asleep. We might go down to the pool for a little bit… but judging by the way Carrie is snoring, we might not. Probably better to rest up for our big day at the Magic Kingdom tomorrow. Another early arrival is planned and we’ve got a lot to do before our Flying Fish reservations at 7:30pm.

Good night!

No comments: