Apr 3, 2007

Carrie's Disney History

I've been to Disney World twice - once when I was fourteen and again when I was eighteen. Unlike Porkchop, I'm not a big fan. I would rather be camping in nature or traveling the back roads through a place I've never been.

Also, I think the Disney empire is a bunch of heteronormative, consumerist hooey.

If you're here from the Disney boards, you probably hate me now.

My family never had a family vacation until I was 26, so I don't have any sunny childhood Disney memories to look back on. My first trip to Disney World included my dad, my sister, and me. For most of the trip, my dad stayed at the off-site hotel, trying to take care of business problems from afar. On the second trip, I went with a high school friend with whom I've since lost contact.

Neither trip was very well planned, which gives me hope for this trip. Porkchop started planning last summer and has an excellent itinerary drawn up.

Even though Disney makes my head hurt, I will enjoy this trip for Porkchop. Also, I'm ready for a vacation ANYWHERE. Unlike Porkchop, who doesn't mind going on a trip when we don't actually have the resources, I can't. I haven't gone on an honest-to-God vacation in FOREVER. Since I'm going to be paid while I'm at Disney World, it's almost okay.

I'm going into this trip with a positive, can-do attitude. I will have fun and enjoy Disney World with Porkchop.

One thing that I'm truly looking forward to is the restaurants. We have reservations lined up for the Flying Fish, Boma, and the California Grill. I can't wait to have a good meal and a glass of wine every night. This, my friends, is exciting for real.

Don't worry, I'm not going to turn off my inner critical monologue while at Disney World, I might just not speak my criticisms. This isn't selling out, this is self-protection. I've read the Disney boards...hardcore Disney World fans can be dangerous. I will keep my mouth closed and my pin lanyard on and blend in.

No comments: